Hello my lovelies. As I have mentioned before in this post, my Granny Cardigan project has not been as successful and easy going as I wished it to be. I started this project with such great excitement and really really loved the yarn and the colors I chose for it. The fact that some of my closest and dearest blog buddies, Sandra from Cherry Heart and Maaike from CreJJtion, jumped on the Granny Cardigan train made it even more exciting. We talked about getting together in our finished Granny Cardigans in Real Life one day... How cool wouldn't that be?
I had some Ideal yarn from Bergere De France in my stash that was my perfect choice for this project. It is one of my favorite yarns to work with and I adore the colors. I imagined myself wearing my cardigan this summer in Sweden, but... It was clearly not meant to be. No matter how hard I tried, I kept on bumping into one problem after another. Not because of the pattern, I should add. No, I made some mistakes and I only have myself to blame.
Bergere de France Ideal 5ply (50g/125m) is heavier than the recommended King Cole Merino Blend 4ply (50g/180m), however, it wouldn't be as heavy as a DK weight... I would just adjust the pattern to it. I ordered some extra Ideal yarn at LoveCrochet to be on the safe side of not running out and I was ready to go!
Mistake number two was that I didn't swatch before starting, bad idea! I went for a size 12-14 regarding to the pattern and it turned out waaay too big. And of course I didn't measure or pay attention in all the excitement of starting this project (duuuuh!) and frogging it was the only way to go. This time I was going to do it right...
I took out my favorite cardigan, measured it and used those numbers as a guide. Then I made swatches and after some brain twisting calculations (see all facts at the end of the post) I came up with a winning formula to get the size I wanted. It seemed to work and I was hooking away once more (in excitement), but I didn't have a color theme in mind (mistake number three) and 20 rows in I didn't like the random color way... I unraveled again.
Mistake number four was me using a 3,5 mm hook for both the border/edging and the clusters. I guess I did so out of convenience (I have no other excuse I'm afraid...) and of course I shouldn't have. I realized I wanted the border/edging to be slightly more snug than the body... Ok. What did I do? I frogged it of course.
At this point, after frogging this project three times, I was ready to give up, but encouraged by pictures on Instagram and with that excitement in the back of my head of accomplishing this, I gave it another go. I started a foundation chain for the fourth time... with hook 3mm. And so finally I got it right! YES!!! I got the flow. I added a few extra rows to the border as I wanted it to be wider and it all felt so good. How beautiful it all evolved in my hands. I was in heaven. I really got it right. The measurement was right, the color theme felt great. Up until mistake number five appeared...
I ran out of the figue color and went to my newly ordered parcel of extras and took out a new ball... And the dye lot was completely different! I mean, I'm talking pickled red beets v. darkest almost black aubergine here... I was crushed. 30+ rows in, almost at the stage of starting the shaping...
I would not, could not frog it one more time. I could not, would not start over with this cardigan of mine... I do not like my Granny Cardigan no more, I do not like it... yes I'm sure!
So, right there and then I quit. I'm sorry, but when you start a project that cause you so much frustration and problems, I just don't think it is meant to be. I'm frogging it one last time and turning it into something as far away as possible from a cardigan. Something simple and beautiful. Straight without and need of gauge. A blanket, shawl or cushion cover. Stripes or blocks. I have some great ideas. And although this has been a bit of a disappointing crochet journey for me, I've learned my lessons well.
GRANNY CARDIGAN PROJECT FACTS
COLOURS: Persan (greyish blue), lilas (lilac beige), figue (red wine), danseuse (light pink), cendre (light grey), pinede (teal), olivine (olive green), everest (white), linaire (light blue).
HOOK: 3mm for start rows (border/edging) and 3,5 mm for cluster rows
GAUGE:17 tr (dc US) x 8 rows ≈ 10cm/4inch square
FOUNDATION: 166 + 2 +1. (56 clusters across incl. the 2tr-clusters at the beginning and end of row)
SIZE: Approx. 94cm/37inches across